Ramon : In the nineties samplers were the perfect opportunity for fans to gather the best songs of their favourite bands, while on the same run labels could spotlight their own favourite new signings. Both on CD as on video. The most appealing name out of the history of extreme metal from that era is without a reservation ‘Death Is Just The Beginning’, which is revived now. The idea arose somewhere in the ranks of Kataklysm and the label saw the potential in it too. And the result is fantastic. The compilation is varied, balanced and broad in orientation, while at the same time there is a magnificent match in the spirit of the songs. And that is pretty amazing, considering the fact that there is not just A-list material, but also covers and demo versions on this sampler. I can be very short about it, which I subsequently won’t do. This is not nostalgia, this is a testimony the Nuclear Blast supremacy in extreme metal.
Besides monuments like Carcass, Immolation (with Max Cavelera), Hypocrisy, Benediction, Paradise Lost and of course the splendid Kataklysm, there are also rising stars on it. For example the Dutch band Bleeding Gods, who have just released their debut. And what to think of Possessed, or Thy Art Is Murder.
And there is something to be critical about if you want to. Hypocrisy covers a song from the terribly dreadful The Exploited, in the shape of ‘They Lie’, but the song benefits from their touch. And Nailed To Obscurity seems a tat out of place in terms of style and musical background, but then again, that does provide a little extra variety. Furthermore, the sampler covers a broad spectrum, which I personally like a lot, but which also can cause your own taste to fall short every now and then. But that is not the main importance, if you were a collector, become a collector again. If you weren’t dive deep into the history of these releases and indulge yourself with the lost gems from the history of death metal. Discover new bands and if you happen to throw a party with a CD player, just put up this one release and you covered the first hour already.
1. Benediction - Tear Off These Fucking Wings (demo) 4:32
2. Kataklysm - The Awakener (re-recorded) 4:06
3. Hypocrisy - They Lie (The Exploited cover) 2:38
4. The Spirit - Illuminate The Night Sky 5:43
5. Memoriam - The War Rages On (demo) 3:51
6. Insidious Disease - Soul Excavation 4:41
7. Possessed - Abandoned (demo) 5:22
8. Thy Art Is Murder - The Son Of Misery 4:18
9. Immolation - Morbid Visions (featuring Max Cavalera) (Sepultura cover) 3:26
10. Nailed To Obscurity - King Delusion 6:43
11. Bleeding Gods - Beloved By Artemis 4:23
12. Decapitated - Sane (Meshuggah cover) 3:52
13. Aenimus - Before The Eons 4:43
14. Paradise Lost - Frozen Illusion 5:44
15. Carcass - A Wraith In The Apparatus 3:31
16. Brujeria - Viva Presidente Trump! 3:30